Sunday, 21 November 2010

Radioactive Cat

I did get this finished in time for Finished Object Friday, but was too busy to actually write the post up, whoops.

Here is my finished crocheted radioactive cat:

Made using this pattern from Marmalade Rose. The yarn is a really bright lime green but I couldn't get the camera to pick up the real colour. That's my partner's hand by the way, I don't have man hands.

It's a really simple pattern. The body of the cat is a square (although mine came out rectangular...) and the head is a shaped piece made using decreases ad increases. It's then folded to the right shape, stuffed and sewn up. The tail was the trickiest part. It's just a tiny hollow tube. I couldn't figure out what the pattern wanted me to do to start the tail so I just played about until I got something that looked right. I sewed a face on with purple yarn, because I don't have any black, or any embroidery thread yet. 

So that's my first attempt an an amigurumi. Jess approves anyway:

Monday, 15 November 2010

Slightly addicted

Cor blimey! Halfway through November already and not a post to show for it. I wish it was because I was doing NaNoWriMo but I haven't got anywhere with that, yet again. I have, however, started some new crochet projects, but since they're intended as xmas presents I can't really blog them until after the recipients have seen them. I'll try to remember to take lots of pictures though!

Crochet has become surprisingly addictive. As soon as I've finished writing this post I'm going to start on this crochet kitten, which I can share with you as it's not intended for anyone specific. I just decided to try making an amigurumi and this looked like a nice easy pattern to start with. An amigurumi, by the way, is a Japanese word that means any small crocheted or knitted animals or inanimate objects that have been anthropomorphised (and that one you'll have to look up for yourselves). I found an amazingly bright lime green acrylic yarn in the market today and it was just asking to become a radioactive kitten.... 

There was also a nice bright purple. Purple and lime green happen to be one of my favourite colour combinations. I may experiment with them to see if I can get a two tone kitten after I've made the first one.

Photos to follow, either for Work in Progress Wednesday, or Finished Object Friday, depending how I get on with the pattern...