Tuesday 8 March 2011

Vegan Pancakes

Today is pancake day, or Shrove Tuesday if you are a Christian. 

I was raised loosely Christian, but it's always been about the pancakes and not the religious undertones in this house, so as a Pagan I have no trouble celebrating pancake day. Well, that would be a lie, a lot of the time I'm oblivious to which day of the week I'm currently on, so it's quite common for our household to have Pancake Wednesday instead.

Last year I tried out two different recipes. One from good old Delia Smith, and a vegan recipe passed on by a friend via Facebook. I have to say the Delia ones were very greasy, while the vegan ones were lovely and light, and you didn't feel like you were missing out on anything at all.

I'm not vegan, but I was looking for a recipe that used soya milk, as I don't drink animal milk.

Here's the vegan recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 150g plain flour
  • 2tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2tbsp veg oil (I used olive oil)
  • 5tbsp water
  • 300ml soya milk
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 2tbsp maple syrup (I didn't have any, so missed this out)
Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, add the wet ingredients and beat into a batter. I use a whisk at this stage. Heat a frying pan and spoon or ladle small amounts of the mixture. You'll have to experiment to find the right amount for your pan. The fun part is trying to flip it over perfectly!

Once your pancake is cooked, top with anything you like, roll, and scoff the lot!

I usually choose from a combination of sugar, honey, lemon juice, or golden syrup.

What's your favourite topping?

P.s. Today is also International Women's Day, James Bond and Moneypenny have a message for you: 


2 comments:

  1. That vegan recipe sounds great, I'll have to give it a shot!

    Lemon juice and icing sugar are a must for me, although you can't go wrong with a bit of Nutella or maple syrup either. Or golden syrup. Or even honey... I guess anything with sugar in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it was both Shrove Tuesday aka Pancake Day and international Womens Day, but did not get to acknowledge it on my blog sadly - as I was travelling.

    I do appreciate this link - would not had seen it if it had not been for you. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Also Thank you so much Kezz for choosing to become a follower. It is really kind of you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete