Monday 19 July 2010

Quiche

Over the weekend I've finally made a quiche (or two) as per number 5 on my list of stuff to try. I haven't done 1 to 4 from the list yet of course, no one said it was in order.... Although I have been puzzling my way through the skirt instructions today.

I settled on a combination of this recipe and advice given over the phone from my mother-in-law to be. The quantities I was told made 2 quiches, oops, so I halved them in the instructions below.  Here's what I actually ended up doing:

Cheese and ham quiche

Ingredients:
  • Ready roll shortcrust pastry (I know, I cheated)
  • Single cream 250ml
  • Grated cheese (lots)
  • Ham, chopped (I used sandwich meat)
  • 1 egg
  • salt and/or pepper if wanted
Method:

Preheat oven to gas mark 6.  Roll pastry out on a clean surface until it's large enough to line your dish, for this mine was about 20cm. Line the dish and prick the base all over with  fork, then cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 mins (I just chilled it till I'd done this next step). In a bowl mix the cream and egg together, then add the grated cheese and chopped ham. I didn't have weights for these, I was just told to add enough that it "filled" the cream mixture. Lastly, add any salt or pepper, I only used pepper as the ham was quite salty. 

Pull the pastry out and remove the cling film. Line the case with baking paper and ceramic beans if you have them, I used rice. Bake the case in the preheated oven for 20 mins. (I stored the quiche mixture in the fridge at this stage). Once it's done turn the oven down to gas mark 2, remove paper and rice, and pour the mixture into the case. Return to the oven for 45-60 mins until it's set, then pull it out and wait impatiently for it to cool enough to cut.


No comments:

Post a Comment